Thursday, September 18, 2014

I am the BEST Driver...

We all know how awful it is to travel in rush hour. Wait, let me rephrase that. We all know how awful it is to travel in a car, on the road, period.

I have come across many mind boggling drivers throughout my commutes. I am sure many of you can agree. What types of drivers have you experienced on the road? Well, let me tell you, mine has become enough to write about...

Here are some that stand out in my mind.

1. The "Newby" Driver:
Pretty obvious that I am referring to the young guns on the road with the ugly little "L" sticker on their tailgate. Yes, the ones that drive with extreme caution and shoulder check until their necks might break. This I do not have a problem with. No, in fact, PLEASE shoulder check, but don't move into my lane while doing it. Also, as scared and nervous as you are to be on a busy four lane highway with cars flying past you on either side, please know, we are much more terrified of you than you are of us.

2. The "White Knuckle" Driver:
This could be two types of drivers. One being the driver with their hands gripped so tight at ten and two I assume the blood vessels are going to eventually explode in their hands. Holding a steering wheel for dear life does not make you drive better. However, it does alert the surrounding drivers to change lanes. These drivers can also be referred to as the ones that can barely see over the steering wheel itself. We shall simply call this version, knuckle drivers. When you can see more of the back of your hand rather than the road in front of you, that is a problem. Please, please find some type of pillow to place under your backside to allow you to see the road as clearly as you should.

3. The "Can't Wait To Go" Driver:
I also like to refer to these drivers as a-holes. An impatient driver, I find, will speed off as quickly as they can from a red light, only to slam on their brakes within forty feet at another red light. This my friends I feel has karma written all over it. Even the intersection gods want you to slow down.

4. The "Happy Braker":
I do not know if this type of driver is looking for a cash grab with ICBC or they literally don't realize they are doing it. We use our brakes to slow down and stop. Simple. We, other than the above driver, do not tap our brakes a hundred times while driving on a flat road. It would make sense in rush hour, the stop and go is inevitable. However, to brake repeatedly going 50 kilometers an hour with no one in front of you and no one riding your tailgate, I think it is safe to say you just do not get the concept of having two pedals below your feet and only need to use one foot at a time.

5. The "Cutter Offer"
This has happened to all of us. I am sure many of you can also relate to this as well. The cutter offer, the one who feels superior enough to weave back and forth through lanes to win the race. Oh wait, that's right, we aren't in a race. We are all just getting to where we want to go. Funny. This driver is also surprisingly easy to catch up to at the next red light after they just cut you off. You turn your head to look at them but you will never see more than half of their face as they are much to ashamed to even look at you. I also literally laugh out loud when I am cut off and that same person then gets stuck behind the slowest driver imaginable. Again, karma. It always shows up a the perfect time.

6. The "Tommy/Tammy Texter"
Pretty easy to see where I am going with this one. We see the commercials on tv, we hear the commercials on the radio, there is no need to text and drive at any time. If you are about to respond with a reason you should be able to text, or that you are a great texting driver, I will have to stop you right there. No, you are not a good driver while texting, ever. Try to argue this with anybody and you will lose. The "WTF's", "OMG's" and "LOL's" can wait. Seriously, no one cares anyways.

Of course, I am not the BEST driver. But I can say that I am none of the above. I tend to have two little passengers in my back seat who are more precious to me than anything else in the world. These two are the reason I am none of the above. These two are the reason I hope you aren't either. Minus the "newby" drivers...because let's face it, we've all been there!


No comments:

Post a Comment